New York, NY (May 23, 2013) – MSG Network’s fifth annual Summer Block Party lineup of programming will return next week. Summer Block Party is MSG’s celebration of summer in New York with themed programming blocks each night of the week starting at 8:00 p.m. The nights include: Movie Mondays and Tuesdays presented by Melrose Credit Union, Original Wednesdays, Thursday By The Numbers, Friday Night Fights, Music Saturdays presented by Visa and Sunday Night Knicks presented by Visa.
Some of this summer’s highlights will include:
- The debut of two new MSG Original Series: “Four Courses with J.B. Smoove” presented by Visa, hosted by actor and comedian J.B. Smoove (Premiere – Wednesday, June 5), and “The Bracket,” hosted by comedians Yannis Pappas and Chris Distefano (Premiere – Thursday, June 13).
- Classic New York movies, including Wall Street, Escape From New York and Taxi Driver, hosted by actor and comedian John Leguizamo (Premiere – Monday, May 27).
- The return of Friday Night Fights featuring classic bouts with some of the biggest names in boxing, including Evander Holyfield, Riddick Bowe, Lennox Lewis and Arturo Gotti, hosted by John Duddy and Mark Breland (Premiere – Friday, May 31).
- An all-new lineup of Saturday Night concerts from Pink, Lily Allen, John Mayer, Hall and Oates, Duran Duran and more, hosted by Fuse News anchors Alexa Chung and Matte Babel (Premiere – Saturday, June 1).
Below is a summary of each theme night this summer:
Movie Mondays & Tuesdays (Premiere – June 3 & 4)
Hosted by actor John Leguizamo, MSG’s Movie Mondays and Tuesdays are all about New York films, from Robert Di Niro as a depressed cabbie in Taxi Driver to Michael Keaton as the caped crusader in Batman and Batman Returns. Other New York movies featured this summer include: Wall Street, Saturday Night Fever, Escape from New York and Serpico.
Original Wednesdays (Premiere – June 5)
- On Wednesday nights MSG will feature the all-new original series “Four Courses with J.B. Smoove”:
Actor and comedian J.B. Smoove sits down for dinner with a group of friends, including former Knicks Rasheed Wallace and Larry Johnson, as well as comedians, musicians and sports personalities, to talk about the Knicks, growing up in the Big Apple, entertainment and anything else that comes to mind.
Wednesday nights will also include episodes from MSG’s award-winning original series:
- “Beginnings”: MSG takes a behind-the-scenes look at where and how some of the players and personalities who call Madison Square Garden home got started.
- “The Lineup: Hits & Errors – The Best Sports Movies”: Fran Healy, Spike Lee, Robert Wuhl, Chazz Palminteri and Jeffrey Lyons discuss and debate the greatest movies in eight different categories.
- “The Game 365” and “Halls of Fame”: Host Fran Healy sits down with the greatest names in sports and entertainment for a one-on-one interview.
- “The Garden Transformed”: MSG takes sports and entertainment fans behind-the-scenes of the first two phases of the historic, three-year Transformation of Madison Square Garden. Narrated by actor Billy Crudup.
- “MSG ProFiles”: This biography-style program looks at the careers of current and former Knicks and Rangers players.
Thursdays By The Numbers (Premiere – June 13)
Thursday nights on MSG will highlighted by the all-new original series “The Bracket”:
- Standup comics Yannis Pappas and Chris Distefano host this all-new original series that pins New York athletes and personalities against each other in different categories to see who comes out on top. The winners in each round were voted on by the fans and some of the brackets include: New York’s Greatest Captain, New York’s Toughest Athlete and The Greatest Garden Villian.
Thursday nights will also include episodes from the fan-favorite series “MSG Countdown” and “10 to One”:
- “MSG Countdown: Celebrity Edition”: “MSG Countdown: Celebrity Edition” features celebrity sports fans as they rank the top 25 moments in different categories.
- “10 to One”: Host Brittany Umar ranks the athletes and moments that call Madison Square Garden and MSG Network home.
Friday Night Fights (Premiere – May 31)
- Garden favorite John Duddy and Olympic gold medal winner Mark Breland host an all-new lineup of classic bouts featuring some of the biggest names in boxing, including: Lennox Lewis vs. Ray Mercer from Madison Square Garden, “Sugar” Ray Leonard vs. Thomas Hearns, Evander Holyfield vs. Riddick Bowe I & III and the Alexis Arguello vs. Aaron Pryor rematch.
Music Saturdays (Premiere – June 1)
- Every Saturday night, MSG will feature concerts from popular artists Pink, Lily Allen, Hall and Oates, Duran Duran, The Allman Brothers Band, Noel Gallagher, Bloc Party and more, hosted by Fuse News anchors Alexa Chung and Matte Babel. Two popular music documentaries will also be featured this summer, It Might Get Loud and U2: Rattle & Hum, as well as concerts from Indie artists Ra Ra Riot, The Polyphonic Spree, AltJ, Kishi Bashi, and Of Monsters and Men from Baebelmusic.
Sunday Night Knicks
- Sunday night is all about the Knicks. MSG studio analysts Wally Szczerbiak and Alan Hahn host the best of MSG’s Knicks 2012-13 programming, including the best games from the season and episodes of “The Mike Woodson Show.”
Throughout the summer, visit www.msg.com/summer for the latest programming information as well as photos, video, trivia, polls and more. Also, fans can get the latest Summer Block Party information by liking MSG on Facebook (/MSGNetworks) and following MSG on Twitter (@MSGNetworks).