Brian Gionta, Right Wing (Last Played With Canadiens)
As their first signing of the 2014 free-agent signing period, the Sabres inked former Canadiens captain and Rochester, NY native Brian Gionta.
- Gionta was drafted in the third round of the 1998 NHL Draft by the Devils.
- The 5-foot-7, 175-pound winger made his NHL debut with the Devils during the 2000-01 season.
- Gionta won a championship with the Devils in 2003. He played in 24 playoff games and posted nine points.
- His breakout year was the 2005-06 season, scoring a franchise-record 48 goals and recording a career-high 89 points.
- Gionta joined the Canadiens in 2009 and was named captain the following season.
- He scored the 20,000th goal in NHL history on March 5, 2013.
- In 776 career games, Gionta has recorded 249 goals and 236 assists for 485 points.
Matt Moulson, Left Wing (Last Played With Wild)
Moulson returns to the Sabres after a 44-game stint with Buffalo last season. Originally with the Islanders at the start of the 2013-14 season, Moulson was dealt twice; first to Buffalo and then to Minnesota.
- Moulson was originally drafted by the Penguins in the ninth round of the 2003 NHL Draft.
- He signed as a free agent with the Kings on Sept. 1, 2006 and made his NHL debut with Los Angeles on Nov. 2, 2007.
- He signed with New York in 2009 and quickly developed a good chemistry with John Tavares. He scored 30 goals in first season on Long Island and scored a career-high 36 goals in the 2011-12 season.
- Moulson recorded 11 goals and 18 assists in 44 games after being traded to Buffalo in 2013.
Andrej Meszaros, Defenseman (Last Played With Bruins)
The Sabres signed Meszaros after the 6-foot-2 Slovak blueliner spent last season with the Flyers and the Bruins.
- The 6-foot-2 220-pound D-Man was drafted by the Senators in the first round of the 200 NHL Draft.
- His best year points wise was his rookie season. He posted 39 points in 82 games.
- He represented Slovakia at the 2006 Olympics in Turin.
- In 585 career games, Meszaros has posted 224 points.
Josh Gorges, Defenseman (Acquired in Trade With Canadiens)
On the first day of free agency, the Sabres first move was actually a trade, acquiring veteran defenseman Josh Gorges from the rival Canadiens in exhange for a second round draft pick.
- Gorges is a 6-foot-1, 200 lbs. stay-at-home defensemen who has 560 NHL games under his belt.
- He played the last eight years with the Montreal Canadiens before playing his first two NHL seasons in San Jose.
- He has four years left on the six-year contract he signed with Montreal in 2012.
Andre Benoit, Defenseman (Last Played With Avalanche)
On July 23 the Buffalo Sabres signed former Avalance defenseman to a one-year contract.
- The 5-foot-11 undrafted free agent made his NHL debut on February 18, 2011 after playing five years in the AHL and in Europe.
- He played for the Ottawa Senators during the 2010-11 and 2012-13 seasons, before joining the Colorado Avalanche for their 2013-14 campaign.
- During the 2013-14 season with the Avs, Benoit recorded 7 goals and 21 assists in 79 games.
- In 120 career games, he has tallied 39 points (10 goals, 29 assists).